Friday, April 5, 2013

Satsop

This is a far more accurate vision of what I think the apocalypse will actually look like. We drove up to the (defunct, non-radioactive) Satsop Nuclear Plant for photos today, and it gave me that tingle down the base of my skull that I get when I encounter the brute force of humanity. Inexorable, awe-inspiring, impassive and ominous. The weather was appropriately nasty as well, all in all it made a good case for being prepared with your handknitteds.

Satsop Cooling Tower

This colossus is just four feet shy of being 500' tall (why not go the extra four feet? Beats me, ask a civil engineer). The echo in there is amazing, a rolling syncopation evocative of the evil and desolate parts of Hollywood thrillers.

Satsop Cooling Tower


Satsop Cooling Tower


Satsop Cooling Tower

And, yes, the entire time I was there this song from The Simpsons was on a loop in my head. Thank you, Matt Groening.

No comments:

Post a Comment